2.28.2009

I DO.................but not in that way

Since getting engaged in December, I've been doing the typical bride-to-be stuff....research and planning. I swear, it could be a full time job. Flowers, cake, dresses, DJ, photographer, videographer, musicians, ceremony location, reception location, etc. etc. I could go on and on. There's so much to think about and consider, but in the end what it all equals out to is a big expensive party that we're throwing for other people to come to. At least when we have our annual Superbowl party our friends bring beer, wine, and snacks. But not for a wedding, this one is all on us. I did find out that the average wedding in Connecticut costs $22,ooo. Um say that again? Yup, $22,000. And that's average, as in, nothing special.

To me, a wedding should be something special and unique that should be remembered for years to come. However, every one I've ever been to has always been the same: same food in a reception hall of some sort, same photographer asking you to "hold that pose" at the worst time, same lackluster DJ trying to "get the party started." While the brides and grooms swap in and out for their own day, the monotonous repetition of each one has melded all the seperate weddings into a single event, and I couldn't distinguish the wedding of couple X from couple Y if I tried. What is the point of spending all that money on a wedding if it's just going to be the same as every other one that you've ever been to?

So seeing as how everything is so geared towards tradition, what does one do if that tradition is not what is desired? Saying I'm a non-traditionalist only scratches the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment